Saturday, March 29, 2014

Group Running. Sure, why not?

For the first time in a long time, I joined a small group of guys to run with. I’ve run races with them before, but never a “training” run. To make things more interesting, the decided distance was 10 miles. Because of this, I was extremely nervous. My mile count has been very low, and the last time I did 10 or more miles was 2 weeks ago. I even treated the morning just like my race days. Same routine, same diet.

Fortunately, as I strolled up to meet the rest of the guys, I was glad to hear another runner sharing similar emotions. And then, we decided on the pace. Everyone was happy when the numbers being tossed around were between 8:00 and 9:00.

As for the run itself, the miles flew bye. A lot of chatter was about previous and upcoming races, shoes, and some friendly jesting. Pacing wasn’t much of an issue. We floated around the 8:10 mark for the majority of the miles, which were ran on a bike path and a few secondary roads. Minimal traffic made the run even more enjoyable, with the exception of having to stop a few times at a busy intersection.

Post run, we all were blessed with some Gatorade and more small chat as we gathered on the back porch. We all decided that this run was a good experience, and we started to make quasi-plans to do it again soon.

Running with a group made the 10 miles seem effortless. I know the pace was slower, but I think I needed that. Whenever I go out solo, I’m always at the edge or out of my comfort zone. I tend to forget that miles are miles, no matter how fast (with the exception of tempo or speed works days). Moreover, running with a group forces me to be accountable. If I tell someone I’ll run with them, I will. If I am sitting at home, thinking I should run – sometimes that is as far as I get.

Am I going to make it a habit? Hopefully. Will it replace me running solo? Absolutely not. I still need my “me” time. However, I do think that a group speed-work session will boost my training and make me a better runner. But for now, I’ll enjoy the company as we cruise through miles on the macadam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment