Sunday, March 16, 2014

"How's everything going with you?"

It’s been roughly 2 months now since my diagnosis. Overall, I think things are going well! I ran 20 miles yesterday, I’ve been setting 5k PRs, and I feel “normal” (whatever that means).

To be honest, without the steady flow of medical bills coming, it’s like nothing is wrong...
Mentally – I feel tough as nails. The clarity that I have had is great. Not quite Zen-like, nor is it YOLO! Rather, I think I just see things for what they are.  I attribute most of this to upping my training and competing in races. This has also led to new friendships.

As great as this seems, it is almost a burden. Yes, it does help me with “mental endurance” for long runs or grading papers for an hour straight; however, if there are dishes in the sink, why not save the water and wait until the next day? (My wife hates this, by the way).

Physically – I’m running on all cylinders. Between my own training, leisure family runs and coaching I’m in great shape. Some highlights: I took 1st place for my age group in an 8 series race, 7th overall out of nearly 200 athletes, a PR similar to when I was in high school, and running 20 miles with relative ease until the last 5 or so miles (I averaged a 7:53 pace).

What does all this mean?
I. Don’t. Know.

Seriously. It seems weird. But I guess that’s why I’m typing this. I was back to my normal groove and almost blocked out the diagnosis from my head. But then, the question:

“How’s everything going with you?” A normal questions, but with the tone and look – the speaker wanted something more.

“Um, I’m doing alright.” Then, like a sack of bricks it hit me. It wasn’t small talk…

My response was genuine. I discussed how things haven’t changed and that all is well. No symptoms, no hardships. Just same ol’ me.

I guess this kind of got me back to thinking about that day. The day my life did a 180.  
Anger? No. Sadness? Not really. Just confusion.

To this day it is the same. However, now instead of “How and why?” it’s more like “Are you sure I have cancer?”

2 comments:

  1. I just saw your post in the running community. The words "running" and "cancer" immediately caught my attention. I am not a cancer patient, but I am a kidney failure patient. When I got diagnosed, I was shocked, confused and depressed. By the next day, I realized that I have two options: To let this disease consume me, or not let it consume me. I chose the latter. I believe that is a huge reason how I made it through dialysis and the transplant so easily. Mind over matter! It's refreshing to hear of others with a similar mentality. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy, thank you for your comment. I'm glad to hear you made it through the dialysis and transplant with great optimism. Continue to stay positive, as I know I will!

      Delete