Monday, August 4, 2014

What I've Heard This Week While Running

I'm sure we've all been there - cranking out a solid run, sweaty, breathing heavy, and on the verge of exhaustion. When out of nowhere you hear, "Run, Forest, run!"

If I had a dollar for every time I heard this phrase, I wouldn't be working. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. I have, however, matured and use it as motivation instead of getting ticked off.

In my early years, I would take great offense to the "RFR" shouters. My name isn't Forest, and at least I am out here bettering myself instead of driving in a 1998 Ford Tempo GL (my apologies if you drive this car) while assumingly drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette.

Now, I enjoy getting the RFR treatment. Why? well for a two reasons. 1) They see me. Not all the time do people notice runners. It is a huge hazard, but when people talk to you, they see you. And 2) It's motivational. Like I said before, the old me would get mad and think that all people bantering runners were lazy, unhealthy individuals. Yet, now I find it extremely motivational. I don't know what it is, but my pace usually picks up and a smile is slapped onto my face. No matter what the phrase, I get a little boost.

So, without further ado, here a few things that have been shouted at me when running:

  • "Run, Forest, run"
  • "Heeeeeeeey!" (from a guy in a feminine, flirtatious voice)
  • "Hi!" (x2 from people hanging out of their car windows)
  • "Nice tattoo"
  • *giggles and whispering* Girl 1 - "Hi!" Girl 2 - "Enjoy your run!" (this was when I ran by a group of girls, roughly 12-16 years old at a soccer camp)
I wish this list was for the entirety of last month, or even last week! But for what it's worth, this all happened just today on a 5 mile run. But with so much of it going on, I figured it would make for a fun weekly blog post. Check back next Monday for a new list.

Here's to many more shoutings! And remember, "if you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter!"

No comments:

Post a Comment