Sunday, January 5, 2014

And I would run 1,000 miles...

source: www.freepik.com

It's a new year and a new me. Well not really, but kind of! 


~Flashback to December 31, 2013~
While sitting idly getting ready to ring in the New Year, I was trying to come up with a resolution for the year to come. Options included:

  • Stop biting my nails (again) 
  • Stop drinking soda (which will lead into stop drinking colored soda, and then into a soda a month, and then into a soda a week. Again.)
  • Unplug from technology at least once a week (virtually impossible)
  • Run X amount of miles within the upcoming year. (Doable!)
I voted for the last option. Now it was time to pick a distance. 365 sounded nice. A mile a day. However, I run at least 2 miles everytime I go out - sometimes going for 13 miles. Well, how about 500? Meh, still doesn't seem like a challenge... 

So, what did I do? Well I went to +Google of course! I simple search of "running goals" showed that 1,000 miles was a popular choice.

1,000 miles. Let's break that down. 83.33 miles per month, 19.23 miles per week, 2.74 miles a day.

Sounds reasonable. I can easily run 2.74 miles a day I thought. Heck I can even double up and get ahead real quick.

As of today, January 5th, I have logged 21.84 miles.
That is 8.14 miles ahead of pace! Not too shabby.

Unfortunately, I think I am going to have a slight regression. See, I am a teacher. It's a pretty demanding job and time consuming once you factor in coaching. My thought is to crank out a mile runch (running during lunch), but I will have lunch duty from time to time. Also, I like to eat. I can also head out during my prep (45 minutes each - which means I can easily get in 6 or 7 miles). However, I would come back a sweaty, gross mess. Fortunately, I teach Health/P.E. (and pre-algebra), so this would be acceptable. The downside is, it's my prep! I need that time to grade papers, plan, mentor the youngins, and maybe even relax a bit.

With that said, the success of my goal is mystery. Though I am sure I can accomplish it, I would be lying if I said that everything is going to be just peachy. Stayed tuned for the end result!

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right."
                                                               - Henry Ford

1 comment:

  1. I was just told that the comment section wasn't working.
    Test. Test. 1, 2, 3. Test.
    Got it, Frankie? Good.

    ReplyDelete