Thursday, January 23, 2014

Winter Series #4 Predicted 5 Mile Race

One of the best options for runners near my hometown is the Shenandoah Valley Runners Club “Winter Series.” It showcases many popular runs in the area and also offers some friendly competition. Pre and Post race are usually abuzz with fellow runners talking about training styles, enjoying snacks, and the occasional awards ceremony. But mostly, this time is shared with camaraderie and story time about runs of yore.

Today’s race was race # 4. The “Predict your time” 5 miler. I missed this race last year, but I was familiar with the country club that hosts the event. Upon pulling in to the club house parking lot, I was immediately directed to loop around “out back.” After exiting and taking a left, and then another left passing through houses that are worth way more than my annual salary, I finally arrived (with 10 minutes to spare!) Parking was limited, so I had to park on the side of the road. Not a big problem, but it was farther away from the banquet hall where I had to pick up my registration – making me slightly less early then what I wanted to be.

By the time I received my bib, went to the bathroom, and decided I could get in a 5 minute warm-up I realized I left my sunglasses in my car. With the snowfall the night before, the albedo was high and I didn't want to be blinded the whole race. On top of this, the ice on the roads was sure to make things interesting.

I grabbed my things and slowly jogged my way to the start line---slowly because of the sheets of ice. “This will definitely effect my time” I though. Good thing I went with the low ball of 35:20 (7:05 pace).

Now comes the part I hate. The start. Usually, this consists of roughly 30 people awkwardly jockeying for position as the rest slowly stroll through. I don’t want to sound uber competitive, but I am there to race. Yes, I understand that some races are charitable events and it should be about the experience; however, I am always competing against myself. For the sake of others with the same mindset, if you are not competitively running, do not start in the front.
Fortunately, that wasn't the case this time! Even with showing up to the line “late” I was able to tuck right into the outside portion of the front. This actually worked in my favor, for as we neared the sheets of ice I was already off the side of the road jaunting in the snow.

This became my main method to run/pass. Even with very grippy shoes (+Merrell Vapor Gloves) the ice was a major issue. The snow helped me bypass the hazard, and with an extra pair of socks, my feet stayed dry and warm.
Being a predict your time race, I knew I would have to check myself. I constantly ran the idea through my head that negative splits are a good thing and to go out slow. This worked well for two miles, but at the third I knew I wasn't where I should be. A long stretch of open road helped me realize this, as the line of people in front of me seemed endless.

As I’m about to get out of my comfort zone and push to play catch-up, I get a *SMACK* across my calf. WTH? Great… a frozen whip is now my friend for the next two miles (I usually always double knot, my shoelaces. I guess I forgot as I scrambled to the start line). Surprisingly, this didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It stung, but as stupid as it may sound, I pretended that it was a whip and I was the horse, urging me to go faster.

Effective? Well, my estimated pace of 7:05 was shattered when I crossed the line at 32:50 (6:34 pace). I was pretty excited, especially when I saw the results that I placed 15th overall (14th male) out of 179 competitors.

A brief chat with a few new acquaintances, and I was on my way home towards my awesome weekend.

Sorry for the abrupt end and not a true race recap. Unfortunately, life calls and I've been busy with midterms, daddy stuff, and seeing my wife every now and then J

Hopefully, my next race will be more in-depth. My wife and a couple that we hang out with might be “swinging” for the next race - - a tandem team race. It should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment