Sunday, January 26, 2014

I Don't Want to Run

TBH (a phrase uttered numerous times at my school. It stands for to be honest), some days I simply do not want to run. I wish I could be inspirational and say that with gritting teeth, I lace up my running shoes and conquer the world, but I don’t. Even with reading all the phrases like “Just do it,” “one more,” “impossible is nothing,” “live strong,” etc., I still have a hard time getting motivated to head out.

To get them out there, so I can never use them again, here are my top excuses NOT to run. I’m doing this in hopes that I never use them again.
  • It’s too cold/hot out
  • I ran hard the other day and my legs are sore
  • I’ll double up/go hard tomorrow
  • I don’t have the time
  • I’ll have to shower again
  • I just need time to relax
  • I don’t feel well

In response to these statements, I offer simple responses to counteract each:
  • It’s too cold outside? Suck it up buttercup. Once I get running, my core temperature will rise. Throw on some protective gear, hat, gloves, and extra socks and head out. Too hot? Take off your shirt, apply some sun screen, enjoy the sun and take some water. Run in the shade of trees. Also, plan ahead and hydrate!
  • I ran hard the other day and my legs are sore. Oh no, you poor baby. I, of all people, should understand this process. I worked out my muscles. They have micro-tears. I improved them by pushing them to their limits. Yes, rest days are acceptable and aid in the healing process, but running LSD (long slow distance) helps purge the lactic acid and aids in recovery.
  • I’ll double up/go hard tomorrow. Right… and the bar has the sign that always says “free beer tomorrow.” I am a man of my word and try my best not to lie, but this just doesn’t seem like a good deal. I’d rather take a group of average to great runs instead of a just a couple awesome hard runs or speed workouts.
  • I don’t have the time. There are 1,440 minutes in a day. Averaging out all my runs, I have a normal, non-race pace of 7:18. Let’s bump that up to 8:00/mile. I can run 3 miles in under 25 minutes. That leaves me with 1,415 minutes. Make time!
  • I’ll have to shower again. And the problem with this is??? I swear, I solve most of the World’s problems while showering and do some awesome self-reflection and meditation. Enjoy the second shower!
  • I just need time to relax. I have a wife and a high energy kid. Going out on my own to run is relaxing! I can think freely and enjoy the surrounding beauty of my small town. Mountains, creeks, a dog park, river, arboretums, historical sites… The list goes on. Go enjoy it.
  • I don’t feel well. Welcome to being human. We all have our good days and bad. Plus, a good jaunt is just what I need sometimes to rid myself of mucus (who doesn’t love a good snot rocket?)
There. No more excuses. Now go out and re-explore the world. You never know what or who you’ll find!

What motivates you to run?

No comments:

Post a Comment